Tell us about Bliss?
We are here for any baby born who requires neonatal care. About 60% of babies on the units are born prematurely, but the other 40% are poorly, have jaundice, or a congenital heart issue and we’re here to offer the best support we can to all families.
Bliss approach this in many ways. Firstly, the Baby Charter framework and specialist support services, work directly with neonatal units to ensure they can provide an optimum level of care to families. We also improve government policy and laws for parents in this situation. Then there is education and support, which we offer directly to parents in neonatal units and online. There are also the amazing Bliss Champions who provide families with someone to talk to, who can relate to their experience, which is often a lifeline.
What are you looking for from the people who work for Bliss?
How did you get involved with City Calling?
Were they personable and did they provide a good service?
I have really enjoyed the seamless service they have provided all the way through. Emma took the time to sit down with us to see how they could make this work. This started with an in-depth conversation to ensure she understood our needs and how these could be most effectively supported. Emma then quickly identified the roles with transferable skills, where she felt City Calling would be able to add the most value. She then kindly prioritised our roles, keeping us regularly updated on her approach and the status as we progressed through, which saw great results.
I also want to say, what is amazing is Emma is still making the same effort outside of what she’s already delivered. I know she’s been having similar conversations elsewhere within the charity about other vacancies City Calling can help with, and her dedication is much appreciated.
What were the roles and did you feel they understood your needs?
We initially needed a Partnerships Officer and Senior Partnerships Officer for my team. These are effectively like account management and new business roles, so with Emma’s approach we were confident there would be individuals we would want to consider. Using her expertise Emma certainly made this happen.
The City Calling candidates presented were impressive, credible and potentially a good fit. We interviewed many of them, with a good number making it through to second interview.
With the best will in the world, we have a budget to help promote what we do, but we’re very much just stabbing in the dark when it comes to this kind of stuff and we are very grateful for all of the help and support City Calling has given us.
Who have they placed with you and how are they getting on?
They have been a great fit for us and bring a lot of value. She has an account management background from the finance world, which has been put to good use since making the move across. She brings a different energy to the team and it’s a really welcome one, I think having that variety in the workforce is a really positive thing and is certainly working well for us.
Particularly within partnerships, it is great to have people that worked in corporate fundraising. However, having somebody who comes from the private sector has been such a blessing – our new team member is super productive and that has been a total game changer, she just knows how to get stuff done. The speed they go their head around all of the internal and external policies, procedures and so forth was absolutely mind-bending and very welcome.
Will you be using City Calling again in the future and would you recommend them on?
When I first introduced the idea of working with City Calling to Bliss, people didn’t necessarily get it, or expect it to be as beneficial as it has been. The real markers of this success are who Emma has helped to bring on board and the noise this has made internally. Now I have a lot of colleagues who understand the quality and value City Calling provide, and are asking for her details, so we can continue to use their services.
It’s so important that a recruiter wants to understand the essence of what it is that you’re trying to achieve, especially when you are a small charity with a limited budget. City Calling has always gone above and beyond to make sure that’s the case.